

Well today was my final day of treatment. Met with my doctors for an exit interview and to get my follow up paperwork. My treatment will be followed for 5 years (my stem cells preserved) - with the potential to return for follow up if necessary.
I am attaching pictures of part of my medical team that conducted my exit interview - two of my doctors and our patient coordinator.
After meeting with the Docs, it was off to my final PT where they redid the evaluation tests they did on my first day in Costa Rica. My balance was improved, and my muscle strength had gone from mostly 3s to 4s (on a 5 point scale). With the stem cells it is suggested that it may take 6-9 months to realize the full benefits. So while there was no AHA moment (yet), I do feel I have more energy and have increased confidence in my walking especially without my cane (although I do still feel more comfortable having it available). I have seen some of the patients in my group have some really remarkable success, but then they were far more disabled than me and so their improvement was more readily apparent.
It was sad saying goodbye to all of the therapists that were such a key part of this program and really became a team of supportive friends. Never thought I would look forward to going to exercise every day.
I am ready to go home - but will really miss this program and this four weeks of intense focus on my health.
Now all that is left is the dreaded packing for the return trip - still scared of the airports but hope my new stem cells will kick in and power me through.
No comments:
Post a Comment