Monday, November 23, 2009

Foolish Pride


Woke up this morning with legs so stiff, I am having trouble walking. I have now heard that the waterfall I challenged myself to walk down to and back up was 524 steps each way. My pride told me I could do this because others here had done it. I didn't need the lecture from my physical therapist (but received it anyway) to remember that I am here to improve my health - and I can't let anything distract or impair my pursuit of receiving as much of the benefit of this treatment as I possibly can.

So lesson learned. Did my laundry this morning, PT in the afternoon and now a night in of rest & relaxation (and Oprah).

This week's new patients joining the program have all been in their 20s and male. One is just diagnosed, and is the "picture of health", one is about the same position as me, and one has had a rapid progression of the disease. I am still impressed at the proactive course each of these fellows are taking - I don't know if I would have had the courage in my 20s to take this risk, I am mightily impressed.

I am attaching a picture of Costa Rica's Central Valley (where i am in San Jose is considered the Central Valley because of surrounding mountain areas). It really is a beautiful/peaceful country which really helps when taking a medical leap of faith.

1 comment:

Carla said...

Hi Kristi
What beautiful pictures. I am jealous and hope to see CR someday too. Everyone in my family has been except me and my husband! Whaaah.

All is quiet here as we get ready to leave for the holiday.

Gobble gobble to you.
All the best,

Carla