Thursday, November 19, 2009

Throw Caution to the Wind

Well today had a bit of an infamous start, I had an 8:30 pick up time to be at the hospital at 9am. I had just woken up glanced at my clock that said 7:30 and decided I could rest for a few more minutes when my phone rang. Turned out my wind-up alarm clock, lots its wind at 7:30 and it was 8:30. Luckily I am heavy on function / low on glamor here - so I quickly brushed the teeth, washclothed the face, added the antiperspirant, threw on the sweats, clipped the hair and was down to the van in less than 5 minutes.

With the gut healing (although the itching has set in) took on a little more in PT. Started on the bike up and then out for a walk around the outside of the hospital with leg weights and small barbells. The therapists stepped it up and had the idea that we should try a little futbol out in the grassy area. They brought a light ball, but the wind was blowing so hard everytime I kicked they had to run out into the street to track the ball. Because it comes slowly and unconciously, I don't realize how much my body has adopted to MS. I know I tire quickly and can't walk long distances - but didn't know how poor my balance had become until I was balancing on one leg and trying to kick with the other (not that playing soccer would ever be anything I miss). What I also realized is how my fear was keeping me from trying - the embarrassment of falling/failing had me subconsciously avoiding challenges whenever possible.

So today - faced the uncertainties and in wind (which many know gives me the heebie jeebies)tackled walking down a fairly steep hill without doing my best jack & jill impression. It was a real sense of freedom to just go for something with no safety net.

PS- my fourth spinal injection went swimmingly, with the handsome Dr. Lara by my side and the precautionary injection before the procedure. It is amazing how quickly you lose your modesty when you spend lots of time in doctors office. Trust me the reduced pain of getting shots in the posterior, overcomes any embarrassment of not quite closed examining areas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on gaining the insight that fear was keeping you from trying ... and congratulations on experiencing the freedom of going for it!! I hope things continue to go well for you in CR!

Cousin Pat

KMFM said...

David Beckham is anxiously awaiting your return. :)